Tuna Sustainability Policy
As a leading importer and distributor of canned tuna to the UK food market, Caterers Choice is committed to developing long term partnerships with our suppliers. We encourage best practice with regard to environmental issues and only work with canneries that are pro-active in reducing their impact on the world�s ecosystems.
Caterers Choice have increased the amount of information available on the product labels, this includes details of the catch method and area on all tuna products. Further information can be provided on request.
Caterers Choice only sources tuna from canneries that have satisfied all the requirements for the Earth Island Institute Programme of Inspection. The Earth Island Institute monitors tuna companies around the world to ensure the tuna is caught by methods that do not harm dolphins and protect the marine ecosystem.
In order for tuna to be considered "Dolphin Safe", it must meet the following standards:
- No intentional chasing, netting or encirclement of dolphins during an entire tuna fishing trip.
- No use of drift gill nets to catch tuna;
- No accidental killing or serious injury to any dolphins during net sets;
- No mixing of dolphin-safe and dolphin-deadly tuna in individual boat wells (for accidental kill of dolphins), or in processing or storage facilities
- Each trip in the Eastern Tropical Pacific Ocean (ETP) by vessels 400 gross tons and above must have an independent observer on board attesting to the compliance with points (1) through (4) above.
Any bycatch which may be present is monitored as part of the above controls.
Policies and procedures are in place to ensure full traceability back to the fishing vessel which is audited on a regular basis.
Caterers Choice is aware of its responsibility as an importer to minimise the impact of its operation on the environment and will endeavour to continually review our business and implement any future initiatives that we feel will be beneficial to the cause.
Download our Tuna Policy as a PDF document.